MAVinci Desktop: Creating a Localization
To work in a Local Coordinate system when collecting UAS data, perform the following steps:
- On the Welcome screen, select Settings.
- Next to Spatial Reference, select Change.
- Select New to define a new coordinate system.
- Under the Calculation/Table Data section, select the Spatial Reference Set/Source button.
- Select the coordinate system for the known surveyed control points (absolute coordinates, not local).
- Under the Calculation/Table Data section, select the Data File Search/with Reference Data button.
- Configure the structure of the *.txt or *.csv coordinate file to be imported as necessary (i.e. delimiter type, header information, etc.).
- Select Choose File.
- Navigate to the location on the PC of the *.txt or *.csv file to be imported and select Open.
- Once the file has been imported successfully, click Ok.
Regarding File structure, to be able to use default settings on this screen for a given *.txt or *.csv file, the structure should be:
- Latitude/Northing (known),
- Longitude/Easting (known),
- Height (known),
- Latitude/Northing (unknown),
- Longitude/Easting (unknown),
- Height (unknown)
- Easiest way to create the *.txt or *.csv file is using Excel, Notepad or similar.
Under the Calculation/Table Data section, select the following from their respective pull down menu’s:
Ellipsoid for the local coordinate system from the pull down menu:
- Typically this will be set to unknown.
- Select the unit of measurement for the local coordinate system.
Select the Projection for the local coordinate system. ]
- Typically this will be set to Automatic.
- Ellipsoid for the local coordinate system from the pull down menu:
- Once finished, select Start Calculation.
The projection parameters and the average error will be calculated for the localization and will be displayed on this screen as red, orange, or green.
For the best results, the values for the average error should display as green.
If the results are adequate for the user, select Yes to the dialog box that appears to use these projection parameters.
Select Save to save the projection for future use in MAVinci Desktop
To save the local projection information for use in other applications (i.e. Topcon Context Capture):
Select the WKT tab, copy and paste the projection information to a notepad file and save as a *.wkt file.
Select the Save Into File button and save the projection as a *.prj file.