Many cellular networks are now limiting their consumer data plans to only function on specific prequalified device models. To ensure best network compatibility, carriers prefer that devices be purchased directly through their official store. Even though carriers still state that they allow you to bring your own device (BYOD), you will often find that they limit what model devices you can bring, or they have you enter the IMEI number of your device and then tell you that your device is not compatible if it is not a model on their limited prequalified list.
Information that may be needed by the service provider
When contacting a cellular network provider to activate your device, you may need to specify that the device is for a post-paid data plan or even a business account instead of a pre-paid consumer data plan.
You may need to specify that the business data plan is for a "laptop modem" or "USB adapter" even if the rugged handheld device is more similar in appearance to a consumer tablet or smartphone.
Also, carrier data plans are continuously changing. One example as of May 2020, the AT&T "Data Connect for Mobile Hotspot and 4G devices" appears to be compatible, but there are no guarantees for when this will change.
Specifications for device compatibility
If a cellular network carrier requests specifications of the device for compatibility, the following information may be helpful:
FC-6000 Windows (Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A)
- LTE CAT-6 Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/20/25/26/29/41
- HSPA+, UMTS Bands 1/2/3/4/5/8
FC-6000 Android (Qualcomm SnapDragon X12)
- LTE Bands 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/12/13/14/17/20/28
- UMTS Bands 1/2/4/5/8
- GSM 850, EGSM 900, DCS 1800, PCS 1900
Be prepared when you work with the service provider
To expedite the process of activation, the following tips are recomended:
- Have the device details ready, including IMEI number.
- Include billing information and business ID, such as your Federal Tax ID or VAT number.
- Note the specifications of the device for compatibility as listed above.
- Ensure that all FC-6000 updates for the operating system have been installed.
- Ensure all Windows Updates have been installed.
- For Android models, ensure all updates are installed.