Firewalls, VPNs (Virtual Private Networks), virus scan programs, and other parts of a corporate (enterprise) security system can interfere with ActiveSync (Windows Mobile Device Center) connections. The results may be that your connection drops immediately or that you are unable to explore your mobile device. Another common problem caused by these programs is that ActiveSync/WMDC appears as though it is constantly trying to create a connection (the green circle does not stop spinning).
If your Field PC has Windows Mobile 5.0 or higher installed, you can try changing the USB ActiveSync/WMDC drivers from Network (RNDIS) to Serial (PPP) by following these steps:
- Tap on Start > Settings > Connections > "USB to PC" icon.
- Uncheck the "Enable advanced network functionality" checkbox.
- Tap OK.
- Connect USB.
If you are using a common firewall application, installing the latest ActiveSync or WMDC should automatically configure your firewall to allow mobile device connections. This does not always happen.
If you installed WMDC / ActiveSync before installing a common firewall application, ActiveSync 4.x provides a troubleshooter utility which may resolve the issue following these steps:
- Open Microsoft ActiveSync on your desktop PC.
- Click on the Help menu > Troubleshooter for ActiveSync.
- Follow the instructions provided in the "Troubleshooter for ActiveSync" wizard.
In the worst case (such as if you are using an uncommon firewall application), you will need to manually add the following folders, programs, processes, services, TCP port, and Windows registry key to be allowed by (or to be treated as exceptions to) your firewall:
- C:\Windows\WindowsMobile (for Windows Mobile Device Center)
- ActiveSync Application (C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe)
- ActiveSync Connection Manager (C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe)
- ActiveSync RAPI Manager (C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\rapimgr.exe)
- ActiveSync Service (TCP port 26675)
- [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost]
- Static IP address 192.168.55.101
Virus scan programs sometimes come with a mobile device scan feature. Disable this feature while establishing the initial ActiveSync/WMDC connection and partnership. You then may be able to re-enable the feature for later connections.