- The Topcon control system does not change. However the machine on which the system is mounted does. Motor Graders/Dozers and Excavators all have wear edges that require replacement over time. As the cutting edges or bucket teeth wear, the operator may encounter an elevation error. On machines with cutting edges, not only will the elevation be affected by the wear, but as the cutting edge wears, it can also induce a slope error.
- Typically, once the hydraulics are set, they do not require any adjustments. However over time, due to mechanical wear or hydraulic services, fine tuning may be required for optimal performance.
- The Dozer has one slope sensor that controls slope of the blade. Over time through normal usage, as the machine cutting edge wears, the sensor will need to be recalibrated to maintain accuracy.
- As the cutting edge wears, the height of the GPS antenna to the cutting edge will shorten causing a consistent elevation error. Within the Topcon software, there is a blade wear calibration that will compensate for blade wear.
Blade Slope Adjustment
- As the cutting edge wears on an MC2 Dozer, the operator will need to routinely check and make adjustments to maintain the system’s accuracy.
- Touch the Slope information button on the bottom of the screen to access the calibration menu.
Using a level, raise the blade in the air and manually adjust the slope of the blade until the level read 0%
- Be sure you are holding the level on the bottom of the cutting edge
- Press the set button for the “Blade slope” and enter 0%.
Mainfall Slope Adjustment
Position the machine on smooth grade and place the blade on the same grade.
- If on hard packed grade where the cleats of the tracks are not penetrating the ground, adjust the elevation of the blade to match the pads of the tracks
- Using a smart level, measure the main slope of the machine and enter the measured slope.
- As the cutting edge wears, the height of the GPS antenna to the cutting edge will shorten, causing a consistent elevation error. Within the Topcon software there is a blade wear calibration that will compensate for blade wear.
- When the system was first installed the installer would have entered all the required dimensions.
- As the cutting edge wears, measure the distance from the center of the bolt holding the cutting edge on to the end of the blade.
- This will adjust for all blade wear.